The BCA (British Chiropractic Association) recently released a list of tips aiming reduce back pain in your day-to-day life. Back pain is one of the most common causes of the pain in the UK and most people will suffer discomfort at some point in their life. However, most back pain is easily avoidable, and living in fear of pain is often completely unnecessary.
This is why they released the below list of tips and advice which, if followed properly, can significantly reduce the chance of suffering from back pain in your day to day life.
- Simple exercises such as stretching and shoulder shrugging can help to improve your back health. The BCA has a simple programme of easy exercises you can try called Straighten Up UK which can be found here.
- We were made to move and sitting down for long periods of time can lead to pain and discomfort. Try and move around every 40 minutes or so, and include some gentle exercise if you can.
- If you work in an office adjust your work station to suit you. Raise and lower your seat and screen until your feel you have the proper support and are not straining to work. Read this guide on how to get your desk set up correctly.
- On a similar vein, make sure your car is set up correctly. Make sure you are comfortable enough that long journeys won’t cause tension and discomfort, your mirrors should enable you to look around the car without too much straining and your seat belt should sit across your shoulder, not your arm or neck. Again, practice shrugging and buttock clenches when it is safe to do so, and when you can stop when you to move around a bit.
- Always warm up for exercise. It is vital to prepare your body for the work to come which will in turn help you perform better and prevent injuries. A thorough cool down is also of equal importance.
- Always adhere to proper form when lifting – bend at the legs and keep your back straight. Where possible keep the weight balanced evenly across the body by using both arms or a backpack. If the weight is too much then don’t struggle, ask for help.
Morley Chiropractic Clinic are dedicated to reducing the pain in people’s lives and helping back on their feet. To find out more about any of our treatments simply call us on 0113 2383693 or contact us here.